As many of you might already know, Susan is back at the hospital after just a day and a half hiatus at home. (And how glorious was that day and a half!) Susan had been resting wonderfully from the time we got home Saturday until Sunday evening. Then the contractions came more intensely and more frequently. We tried to rest through the night, hoping that they would taper off by the morning. By the morning they had not diminished in either intensity or frequency. Being more prepared this time around our bags were already packed and we went to the doctor.
On the way to the doctor’s office we found out Julie was the one who would check us. Julie had caught the Cholestasis, and was the one to send us to the hospital the first time around. It was not a good sign. The portent proved to be true. Susan was 4cm dilated (she was 2cm the first time) and 75% effaced (she was 50% the first time).
We went through the exact steps from our first visit. First to Triage to get the full check up. Then to Labor and Delivery to get magnesium to put off the delivery. Then to Antepartum once everything had quieted down again. The room in Labor and Delivery was the same one used by our dear friends who just had their son preterm.
We are still so thankful for the time at home, however short it was. It gave me time to get the house better situated to welcome the girls home whenever that might be. We were able to process everything a little more and even allowed me time to manage more things before having to go back to the hospital. Sunday night we even watched the wonderful Christmas movie, Die Hard! Of course the non-stop action and intense plot might have precipitated the contractions. One will never know.
Admittedly it was tougher this time around, especially going through the exact same steps as before. There have been many mixed feelings of wanting to meet the girls already or just somehow going home soon. It is apparent that the former is definitely something we must avoid as much as possible and the latter is unrealistic. It has taken some time to align our hearts to staying here for the long haul, but we know this is the best possible outcome for the girls’ health. This is motivation enough and the LORD has given us so much strength and endurance to want to see this through.
Susan has been incredible throughout this whole ordeal. Her faith, perseverance, and overwhelming sweetness to everyone through everything has been such a testimony to all the doctors and the nurses. It has been such a testimony to me. I really hope our girls are just like her.
We are at the hospital at least until Christmas Eve if not beyond. The girls look great and Susan is holding steady for now. Our hearts are encouraged and lifted by all the prayer and support we have received. Please keep praying. Pray that we will stay encouraged through all of this. Pray that the girls will stay in for a couple of more weeks (shooting for 34!) Pray that we will feel the presence of the Good LORD all the more.
Grace and Peace